Wednesday, December 22, 2010

PB Fudge and Rickie Elkins
Jessica has a friend from high school who loves this recipe. I always made him a batch when he was home on leave, and mailed him a batch for Christmas when he was stationed in South Dakota.
When he was stationed in Iraq I received an e-mail that said:
Mrs. C,
Love you, send fudge.
I replied:
It is so hot there it will probably arrive melted!
His answer:
That’s OK, I’ll drink it.
I made the fudge, put in double zip lock bags and mailed it off! Here is the recipe:
Never Fail Peanut Butter Fudge -This recipe makes 5 pounds.1 jar (18 oz) peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow cream
1 stick butter
1 can 12 oz) evaporated milk
5 cups of sugar
In a bowl combine peanut butter and marshmallow cream, stir well, and set aside. “Butter” bottom and sides of 13X9 inch pan.
In a heavy pan on medium heat, combine butter, evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed milk) and sugar and bring to boil stirring constantly. Boil exactly 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and marshmallow cream. Pour into pan.
This recipe makes 5 pounds.
On Christmas Traditions
We are just a few days from Christmas and I am done with presents, baking, and sewing. I delivered cookies to past clients yesterday. I am always doing these things Christmas Eve!  How is it that I have it all done? Today is grocery shopping day and I will be working on my database for work but seems like I actually don't have to do everything in emergency mode. Wahoo!
Christmas is a busy time for all of us. Some of us just plain love the season; others use it as an escape. Some of us do both. Some years I jump in to avoid "real" life- the year my mother passed comes to mind. Last year was one of those "love of the season" years.
I’m having a love hate relationship with the holiday this year. Money is tighter than it has been (isn’t that true for most of us in this economy).  But, I decided that the decorations that didn't get put up this year by December 10th weren't going up. That means the snowman toilet seat cover didn't get put on the seat. The sky didn't fall!  I'm wondering if Bryonna would like to have the bathroom decorations…I’m thinking I will make that December 10th deadline a “new” tradition.
 At our house this year lots of family traditions are changing. That’s what happens when babies come along. I'm ambivalent on this one: I have always awakened my children on Christmas morning around 5 am, and we open the tree, watch a movie, and eat cream puffs for breakfast. This year we have Ellie (and my new great granddaughter in Wisconsin). Ellie doesn’t get up at 5 am for anyone, not even Grandma Chick.  We will have our “tree” at noon this year. I don’t know how many years this new tradition will hold. I expect more babies will come along…and we will have to be flexible on “tree” times.  OK, maybe I am not so ambivalent on this one-I’ve decided that for more babies, I’m very willing to make that change.

1 comment:

  1. Well I have it on good authority that Bryonna would love that but are you sure that Jessica or Bennie wouldn't want any of it?

    I also love that story about Ricki.

    ReplyDelete